HIV/AIDS Volunteer Projects in Nepal
- PLACEMENT LOCATIONS: Kathmandu
- ROLE: To assist vulnerable children who are living with HIV and AIDS, with regards to treatment, care and support
- REQUIREMENTS: None
- TYPE OF PLACEMENT: Rehabilitation and care centres
- ACCOMODATION: Host family
- PRICE: From
- WHAT’S INCLUDED? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- LENGTH OF PLACEMENT: From 2 weeks
- START DATES: Flexible
Volunteers joining the HIV/AIDS project in Nepal work with a local organisation that focuses predominantly on children under the age of 10. The aim of the project is to assist these vulnerable children who are living with HIV and AIDS, relating to treatment, care and support.
Volunteering on an HIV/AIDS Project in Nepal
As a volunteer on the HIV/AIDS placement you will work with the New Life Centre, which is a programme run by the organisation Friends of Needy Children. This care and support programme looks after young children who have the disease, and often also cares for their mothers, at no charge.
You will have a similar role to a volunteer on the Care placement in Nepal and your main focus will be to get involved in informal educational activities with children who have HIV/AIDS. These activities include playing educational games, teaching the children new songs, reading to them and providing individual tuition in English and other school subjects. You will also help the children with personal hygiene by reminding them to wash their hands before and after dinner, as well as brushing their teeth.
During the afternoons, while the children take a nap, you will also be able to assist the local staff with cleaning, updating the children’s documents and planning daily activities for the children.
You will work from Monday to Friday from 10am to 3pm. Your help will be greatly appreciated at the organisation and you will be making a positive impact on the lives young children.
If you would like to work in preschools, day care centres or centres for children with special needs, consider joining the Care Project in Nepal.