Social Work Internship in Mongolia
- Placement locations: Ulaanbaatar
- Role: Work alongside a social worker providing assistance and care to the local community
- Requirements: Must have completed minimum two years of a social work programme at university or be studying related subjects
- Type of placement: Centres for children with learning disabilities, public schools, local NGOs
- Accommodation: Host families
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 4 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Social Work interns working in Mongolia will be based in the metropolitan city of Ulaanbaatar, home to over a million people. The country battles with high unemployment rates which leaves children abandoned and many families living in poverty. As a Social Work intern, you will work alongside local staff at care facilities and share your knowledge with your colleagues and the local community.
Your daily activities will be guided by a trained social worker. They will encourage you to first observe and gain a better understanding of what will be expected of you. Thereafter, you will be given an opportunity to get more hands-on experience to fulfil your university requirements.
Your role on a Social Work Internship in Mongolia
Assist local staff by sharing the many skills and techniques you have learned through your studies. You can work on tasks such as:
- Applying your theoretical knowledge to real-life cases
- Sharing your knowledge with the trained professional staff to improve current practices
- Helping run awareness projects
- Assisting your supervisor with daily activities
- Creating workshops and presentations
- Helping alleviate the pressure on local staff
As a social work intern you will work from Monday to Friday, completing around six hours a day. Daily tasks will be assigned to you by your supervisor.
The Social Work Internship in Mongolia is available year round, with a minimum length requirement of four weeks. This is to ensure you fully engage with the community and manage to get as much hands-on experience as possible while working with your supervisor.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
Social work interns need to have completed two years of studies towards a degree in social work, or related subjects. Volunteers who are interested in this project, but aren’t studying social work or related subjects, should take a look at our standard Care project in Mongolia.