Volunteer Equine Therapy Projects in Argentina
- Placement locations: In a rural area just outside the city of Córdoba
- Role: To aid the rehabilitation of children and adults whilst caring for the horses at the centre.
- Requirements: Intermediate Spanish
- Type of Placement: Equine therapy centre
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport,transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Our Equine Therapy project combines elements of both our Care work and Animal Care projects, and is open to volunteers taking a gap year, career break, or even a volunteer holiday. You do not need any specific experience to volunteer on this project; however an interest in horses and enthusiasm to work with vulnerable children and adults is important.
Volunteers on the Equine Therapy project will help both adults and children rehabilitate from emotional and physical problems through a therapy programme which involves working with horses. A trained horse can aid the recovery of patients, causing the patient to focus on movement, spatial orientation, posture, language and muscle control.
Volunteering abroad with horses on the Equine Therapy Project in Argentina
The aim of the equine therapy centre is to offer a better quality of life to patients and also to offer horse riding as a recreational activity.
The project involves three elements; you will help look after the horses - feeding, cleaning, brushing etc. Secondly you will actively participate in the classes, helping the children and adults learn to ride. Finally, you will receive daily contact with the patients and attend classes to learn the theory behind the therapy in order to apply it when working with the patients.
Your role will therefore vary each day, offering a diverse range of experiences and work to become involved in. The effect of the therapy varies with each patient; however, by displaying enthusiasm and a passion for horses you can play a part in their enjoyment and help to create a positive experience for every student. Your very presence will help to make each session enjoyable - which is vital to maintaining the interest of the children.
An intermediate level of Spanish is required for this placement to ensure that you can interact fully with the local staff. You will receive guidance not only from the Projects Abroad staff, but also from your supervisor at the centre.